service dependencies on a single host?

Michael W. Lucas mwlucas at blackhelicopters.org
Tue Oct 14 19:29:58 CEST 2008

Hi,

I'm currently monitoring many services on certain hosts via SNMP, and
making extensive use of host groups to ease configuration for my
several hundred hosts.

On occasion, the SNMP service on a host fails.  This triggers dozens
of alarms.  I would like to have each service checked via SNMP depend
on the base SNMP service, so that when SNMP fails I only get one
alarm.  I investigated service dependencies, but they don't seem
amenable to hostgroup-friendly configuration.

If I do something like:

define servicedependency {
	hostgroup_name		NetSnmpServers
	service_description	Snmp
	dependent_host_name	NetSnmpServers
}

that obviously isn't going to work.

Surely other people have encountered this before?  Any suggestions?

Thanks,
==ml

--
Michael W. Lucas 	mwlucas at BlackHelicopters.org, mwlucas at FreeBSD.org
"My pessimism extends to the point of even suspecting the sincerity of