Nagios v3.0 Statusmap and IE

David Bank david.bank at ix.nc.gov
Fri Oct 10 21:37:35 CEST 2008

  Hello the list. Happy Nagios user here who has run into a bit of a
problem.

  My boss also likes Nagios, and wants to show it to his boss. However, my
boss (and his boss) uses Internet Exploder (v6.0.2900.2180 on XP SP2) and
it doesn't seem to be able to render the "Balanced Tree" status map
correctly. The map shows up as a thin vertical line.

  We've only got about 300 hosts in Nagios, and the Statusmap image is
only about 116KB (roughly 24,000 pixels wide by 500 pixels tall) in PNG
format.

  The "Circular" versions of the Statusmap seem to work fine, as does the
"Depth layers". But both "Balanced Tree" and "Collapsed Tree" fail to
display properly.

  All Statusmaps display fine in Firefox (various versions; on both
Winblows and Linux) and also on IE on Linux (v6.0 running under WINE). So
this issue is specific to IE on Winblows. I also don't recall having this
issue with Nagios v2.x before we migrated to v3, but I'm not sure anyone
ever used IE for it when we were on that version.

  When I originally installed Nagios v3.0, I didn't have the gd2 libraries
on the system. I've since added them and re-compiled/re-installed the
CGIs. I do not have anything defined for "statusmap_background_image" in
cgi.cfg.

  I've added imagepaks and several other images for use in the various
statusmaps and screens - those all work fine (mostly JPEGs).

  We'd really like to be able to showcase Nagios up the management chain,
but we're not going to be able to "sell" it unless we get all the
Statusmaps working with IE on Winblows. Sad, but that's the way it is, at
least for the time being.

  Anyone seen this, or have any suggestions?