NRPE way too fragile ?

Jayson Broughton jbroughton at truecos.com
Wed Oct 8 17:06:26 CEST 2008

Guillaume,

We actually have the same problem here where Nagios is setup.  I use the
NRPE daemon on both windows and linux servers.  Two of our servers do
backups early in the morning and during that time we get NRPE Timeout
messages from the two servers.  I have set the timeout on the server and the
clients to timeout after 30 seconds, thinking that would fix it.  But alas,
we still get timeout messages.  I haven't had much time to see what I can do
to fix this, so for now our solution is to not email out warning messages
from those two servers (I have the thresholds set enough where the critical
messages still gives enough window to take care of the problem before going
too critical)  I have come to the conclusion that the servers are running
the backup and eating up so much processing that the nrpe times out trying
to connect and send information.

If you find a solution or even an idea to try, feel free to let me know and
I'll give it a shot!

Jayson Broughton
Linux Systems Administrator
True Computer Operations Dept.