Simulating downtime in nagios

Tom Throckmorton throck at gmail.com
Tue Oct 7 03:47:11 CEST 2008

On Oct 06 12:29, Kelly Jones wrote:
> What's the best way to simulate (not schedule) downtime in nagios?
>
> I want to "pretend" a service is down for a certain amount of time to
> see what alerts nagios sends, etc.

Just to clarify, are you trying to simulate a service outage (as opposed to
simulating a scheduled downtime) so you can test alerts, and perhaps
notifications, in order to validate your configuration?

> I've come up w/ two bad ways to do this:
>
>  % Edit the config file to change the test to "check_dummy". I want to
>  run these "fire drills" via cron, and editing a file and restarting
>  nagios seems a little ugly.
>
>  % Submit a passive check saying the service is down, and reschedule
>  the next check 4 hours later, so the service is 'down' for 4
>  hours. This can be done using the nagios named pipe, so it's easy to
>  cron.  Problem: doing things this way suppresses the alerts (when you
>  don't test a service, it doesn't send an alert).
>
> Thoughts?

I use something similar to the second method to do ad hoc validation of
alerts/notifications, by submitting passive results via an external command,
though without diddling the service check scheduling.  I'm a little confused by
your last statement though...

If you're only submitting a single passive check and then rescheduling the next
check, of course there will be no alerts (and you'll likely never reach
$max_check_attempts) - is there some reason you can't submit multiple passive
check results?

-tt