Simulating downtime in nagios

Kelly Jones kelly.terry.jones at gmail.com
Mon Oct 6 21:29:46 CEST 2008

What's the best way to simulate (not schedule) downtime in nagios?

I want to "pretend" a service is down for a certain amount of time to
see what alerts nagios sends, etc.

I've come up w/ two bad ways to do this:

 % Edit the config file to change the test to "check_dummy". I want to
 run these "fire drills" via cron, and editing a file and restarting
 nagios seems a little ugly.

 % Submit a passive check saying the service is down, and reschedule
 the next check 4 hours later, so the service is 'down' for 4
 hours. This can be done using the nagios named pipe, so it's easy to
 cron. Problem: doing things this way suppresses the alerts (when you
 don't test a service, it doesn't send an alert).

Thoughts?