3-D Status Map not working

Mark Young myoung at nagios.org
Fri Oct 3 19:01:29 CEST 2008

On Oct 3, 2008, at 11:28 AM, Rick Knight wrote:

> Mark Young wrote:
>> On Oct 2, 2008, at 7:11 PM, Izz Abdullah wrote:
>>

>>> Hi Rick,
>>> I've also done this just to make Nagios "pretty" to the users and
>>> customize for our customers.  If you see the documentation, you must
>>> create the logos directory with 40x40 pixel png (other formats
>>> acceptable) for the VRML logos to work, also, this will create
>>> little logos in your regular status map as well as a pic next to the
>>> host in the summary page.  If I am not mistaken, you will need to
>>> put together a:
>>> define hostextinfo{...} declaration, but it's all in the
>>> documentation.  Here is an example completely specific to my
>>> internal setup for APAC usage justification:
>>> in the say...windows.cfg file:
>>> define hostextinfo{
>>> host_name            #APAC-TEST #this should be the host you want
>>>                     #the special pic for which is located in your
>>> logos directory in which you created
>>> notes                Test 2003 Domain Controller
>>> icon_image           Simpsons_couch_gag.jpg
>>> statusmap_image      Simpsons_couch_gag.jpg
>>> vrml_image           Simpsons_couch_gag.jpg
>>> }
>>>

>> Hi Izz,
>> These can now be included in the actual host/service definitions (or
>> better yet, their templates).  'hostextinfo' and 'serviceextinfo' are
>> no longer necessary but are still supported as of now.  It is now
>> just
>> a style decision.

>> Hi Rick,
>> Did you compile this from source?  What version of nagios are you
>> running?  It is obvious from the logs that the CGI is looking for
>> something that does not exist.  My idea of the problem might be that
>> you are, pointing 'vrml_image' or another such script url in the
>> configs to the nonexistant location.  Which could be from an error in
>> how Nagios was originally configured.

>> The vrml should not be able to run from your desktop as it needs to
>> communicate with the CGI to read the relative host relationships from
>> the Nagios server.
>>
>> Good luck.
>>
>> Mark Young
>> ___
>> Nagios Enterprises, LLC
>> Web:    www.nagios.com
>>
> Mark,
>
> I'm running 3.0b3, compiled from source about a year ago, just now
> getting around to trying to use it. I'm sure the only compile time
> option I used would have been --prefix=/usr. Where can I look for this
> error? Or should I use a newer version and re-compile or use the
> Nagios2
> in the Kubuntu 8.04 repositories?
>
> Thanks,
> Rick
>
> Thanks

Well I'll try to send this out.  I sent a message at 9:30 CDT and it
is yet to appear. :)

If you have the option, I would suggest to first backup your current /
usr/local/nagios/* files, then recompile/reinstall with the latest
Nagios 3.0.3 source and follow the quickstart guides (without using
the 'make install-config' which overwrites your config files).  This
would bring you down to it being a problem with your Nagios
configuration or your system configuration.  Though this is a drastic
step but a good chance to upgrade.

Is the rest of your interface looking alright?  Have you made any
changes to the cgi.cfg file (maybe involving web root directory)?  Did
you try to take away all the url references from you config files?
(the  'vrml_image', 'icon_image', 'statusmap_image' )  I would need
more log data to help narrow it down.

Mark Young
___
Nagios Enterprises, LLC