Check_netapp.pl plugin Issues

Jon Angliss jon at netdork.net
Thu Oct 2 09:41:29 CEST 2008

On Tue, 30 Sep 2008 21:23:07 -0400, Don <dkynyc at gmail.com> wrote:

>Hi, I am having the following issue running the check_netapp plugin. The
>specific plugin I am using is the check_netapp3.pl from nagiosexchange. Here
>is the issue,
>
>Running the plugin by hand works perfectly I get the results wanted as seen
>below:

>[root at nagios libexec]# ./check_netapp -H netapp -C mystring -v DISKUSED
>DISKUSED WARNING - Kb Used : 8496184|*/vol/volnetapp/*

>But, when I added the checks into my nagios configuration to start checking
>the host using the following syntax:

>define command{
>command_name check_netapp_DISKUSED
>command_line $USER1$/check_netapp -H $HOSTADDRESS$ -C $USER4$ -v DISKUSED
>}

I'm asuming $USER4$ is a properly defined macro?  Have you attempted
to hard code the value in there "mystring" in your above example.

>define service{
>use Unix-Service
>host_name netapp.example.com
>service_description check_netapp_DISKUSED
>contact_groups Unix-Administrators
>check_command check_netapp_DISKUSED
>}
>
>When I go to the web interface and look at the service detail I get the
>following error in the STATUS information window:
>
>CRITICAL:Requested table is empty or does not exist for
>.1.3.6.1.4.1.789.1.5.4.1 with snmp version 1

As it's complaining about version info, have you tried adding -P 2?
Have you tried turning on the debugging, and seeing what the command
is being expanded to?

>It seems that Nagios cannot find the OID associated with this query?
>I was thinking that the OS is not aware of the MIB's based on the output so
>I downloaded the Netapp MIBS with no luck.  Can someone offer some
>assistance?

MIBs are generally just to make it easier for us meer humans to read.
As long as the server/device responds to the number you request, the
machine doesn't really need the words.  It only comes in handy if you
decide you want to write code that does nice queries, such as getting
the system uptime sysUpTime.0.

- --
Jon Angliss