NRPE_NT 0.8.0.2/2.0 BUG?

Mattias Ryrlén mattias.ryrlen at op5.com
Thu Nov 27 10:20:18 CET 2008

On Wed, 2008-11-26 at 21:59 -0500, Anthony Montibello wrote:
> Hi,
>
> From the info you provided (particularly the solution)
> it sounds like a problem with the windows "RIGHTS" required by the VB
> script being run rather than a bug with NRPE

I must agree to this, when "talking" with a mailserver (in this case)
you might need to be some kind of admin authenticated to be able to
access the mbox. this can't be done with localsystem (unless you handle
it in the code of the script)

Best solution is to create a "service account" in your Domain example
tk.nrpe and give it the rights needed to "talk" to the mbox. (This is
best practice when using custom services in a windows environment btw)

Then run NRPE_NT as that user.

So not a bug, working as intended, but a script that have some flawes in
how it connect to the mbox

> A few months ago I had a Windows Security Update that forced me to
> change a service from LocalSystem to NEtwork Service to get it running
> (maybe due to a similar Windows Subsystem issue)
>
> TOny (Author of NC_Net - Windows Monitorin Client)
>
> On Wed, Nov 26, 2008 at 8:20 AM, Felipe Ferreira
> <fferreira at osiatis.es> wrote:
>         Hello all Nagios people,
>
>         I believe to have found a problem/bug running the Nagios
>         Plugins Service under Windows 2003.
>         Its a strange problem, but I found the solution, by just
>         change the NRPE_NT Service Account to something else then
>         LocalSystem
>         with ADministrator permissions.
>         Here is what happens
>         root at S:/usr/local/nagios/libexec# ./check_nrpe -H SERVER -t 90
>         -u -c get_top_mbox -a SERVER 3 2000 4000
>         c:\nrpe_nt\plugins\v2\check_mboxsize.wsf(87, 3) Microsoft
>         VBScript runtime error: Subscript out of range: '0'
>
>         After changing the Service user Account :
>         root at S:/usr/local/nagios/libexec# ./check_nrpe -H SERVER -t 90
>         -u -c get_top_mbox -a SERVER 3 2000 4000
>         OK  -  Alaisso Binco, Sona , 512.00 MB -  Johni Amient ,
>         512.00 MB -  Punot d'Informa Juve , 379.00 MB
>
>         The script is quite complex, and I have tried to spit output
>         as wscript.echo , wscript.stdout.write (no help)
>
>         More details here:
>         http://felipeferreira.net/?p=101
>
>         Anyone knows if a new version will be released?
>
>         Cheers,
>         Felipe Ferreira

Vänliga hälsningar / Best Regards
Mattias Ryrlén