Same service, multiple machines w/ individual notification

Tim Pushor tim at thepushors.com
Tue Nov 25 21:54:43 CET 2008

Ok lame subject line but was the best I could think of on short notice.

I've been using nagios for a couple of years now for various projects
but this is the first time that I'm trying to use it in a more classic
monitoring arrangement. I have to admit that I have found myself
scratching my head on occasion when trying to figure out why certain
things are bound to others, such as why a contact list is bound to a
service when there isn't a 1:1 relationship between the two. For example
- here's my current dilemma:

I have clusters of servers that are being monitored and are managed by
different teams. I have a particular service that I want to monitor
across the board but if it alarms on server 1,2,or 3 I want it to send a
notification to a different list than if server 4,5, or 6 alarms. Due to
several reasons (such as reporting the same metric across all servers,
regardless of who supports them) I don't want to have different service
names between servers.

I can't seem to see how I can easily accomplish this in the
documentation.Any chance someone could help point me in the right direction?

Thanks!
Tim