Nagios Monitoring Microsoft SQL Express 2005

Mattias Ryrlén mattias.ryrlen at op5.com
Tue Nov 25 20:51:25 CET 2008

Hi Eduardo,

Martinez, Eduardo [BSD] - ADM skrev:

> Any assistance would be appreciated. I am having issues monitoring this
> service in Nagios via nsclient  on a windows 2003 server.
>

> On the commandline this works great:
>

> check_nt -H adm-patches -p 1248 -v SERVICESTATE -l 'MSSQL$MICROSOFT##SSEE'
>

> It report that all services and up and running. However, in the template:
>

> define service{
>
>         use                             template
>
>         host_name                       hostname
>
>         check_command
> check_nt_service!’MSSQL$MICROSOFT##SSEE’
>
>         service_description            Microsoft SQL Express 2005
>
> }
>

> This reports WARNING 11-25-2008 13:04:30 0d 0h 1m 1s 1/5
> MSSQL$MICROSOFT##SSEE$: Unknown
>
> I’ve been searching through forums but haven’t found this. I’m sure
> someone has run into this issue.
What version of NSclient++ do you have, i found a bug in NSClient++ that
it can't handle # correct in servicenames.

You can rename a service if you want to remove the # Chars.

Regedit -> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services
rename the folder named MSSQL$MICROSOFT#SSEE to eg MSSQL$MICROSOFT_SSEE

reboot the _windows_ machine and your service is now named
MSSQL$MICROSOFT_SSEE

> Any help would be appreciated.
>

> Thanks,
>
> -Eddie