new check_ plugin for Linux ethernet interfaces

Alan McKay alan.mckay at gmail.com
Tue Nov 25 16:26:17 CET 2008

Hey folks,

I looked at a number the existing plugins and didn't like them for
various reasons - mostly because they seem to require SNMP.   So I
wrote my own that uses NRPE instead.   I call it check_iflocal

I think this is the right link to it, but maybe not :

http://www.nagiosexchange.org/cgi-bin/page.cgi?g=Detailed%2F2826.html;d=1

Here is a quick look at it.  Please let me know if you have any
problems with it and I'll do what I can

[root at bcmdhcp148 nagios]# libexec/check_iflocal -h
Usage : check_iflocal ethX [VAR=VAL] [VAR=VAL] [...]

This script checks the 4 values found in the output of ifconfig
RX Errors, TX Errors, RX dropped, TX dropped
It assumes that if the interface is functioning properly,
these values will be 0.  Rather than flag absolute values
the script flags delta values from one invocation to the next
It is also smart enough to reset itself e.g. on reboot

Please read comments at top of script for installation details

Variable names can be mixed-cased.  Valid variables :
        WARNDELTA=number (default 1)
        CRITDELTA=number (default 10)
                How big of a delta to flag as warning or critical?
                Applies to all of RX Errors, TX Errors, RX Dropped, TX Dropped
                So if any one of those 4 exceeds the delta from one invocation
                to the next, the appropriate action is taken
        NOLINK=[0|1|2|3] (default 1)
                How to report when there is no link on this interface?
                Nagios return codes - 0=OK,1=WARNING,2=CRITICAL,3=SCRIPT ERROR
                but note that you use the numbers, not the strings
                This is only used if either ethtool or mii-tool is enabled
        RUNETHTOOL=[0|1]
        RUNMIITOOL=[0|1]
                Only 1 of the above 2 can be enabled otherwise it's an error
                These give more info on each interface, but require sudo
                See script comments for details
        STROK=STRING (see script comments)
        STRWARN=STRING (see script comments)
        STRCRIT=STRING (see script comments)
        STRYIKES=STRING (see script comments)

--
"I destroy my enemies when I make them my friends"
                        - Abraham Lincoln