Perl version

Gary Hartl ghartl at gmail.com
Tue Nov 25 16:05:36 CET 2008

> netra1# ./nagios start
> Performing sanity check of nagios configuration: /usr/local/bin/
> nagios: 1:
> Syntax error: "(" unexpected
> FAILED
> /usr/local/bin/nagios: 1: Syntax error: "(" unexpected
>
> /-- end snip --/

Maybe you should give more (detailed) information about nagios
version, how you installed it, etc... /usr/local/bin/nagios should be
a binary file, not a script. The error above shouldn't be possible
unless something is very non-standard.

Ok...

Here is what I have,

FreeBSD 6.0-RELEASE running on a Netra X1 (sparc64).
I installed Nagios 3.0.4 from the FreeBSD packages tree using pkg_add
I added the nagios_enable="YES" to /etc/rc.conf for start at reboot

Yes I belive /usr/local/bin/nagios is a binary since trying to run it gets
you

Netra1#/usr/local/bin/nagios
/usr/local/bin/nagios: Exec format error. Binary file not executable.

So I was trying to get nagios running without rebooting, so I ran
/usr/local/etc/rc.d/nagios start (i'm not sure if i should include the
contents of the /usr/local/etc/rc.d/nagios script.) and i got the above
output.  I though initially that one of the configuration files might have a
stray bracket somewhere so I dug through them all manually with no avail.

I'm not really sure what other information you might need, but I would be
happy to provide whatever it is, I don't understand this either,

I did originally try to install nagios from source perhaps i have some stray
files or libaraies kicking around I'm not 100% sure about that.

Thanks for the Help

Gary

any issue.