check for crash?

Michael Gargiullo mgargiullo at pivotpointsecurity.com
Mon Nov 24 20:07:03 CET 2008

-----Original Message-----
From: Israel Brewster [mailto:israel at frontierflying.com]
Sent: Monday, November 24, 2008 1:42 PM
To: Fernando Rocha
Subject: Re: [Nagios-users] check for crash?

On Nov 21, 2008, at 10:07 AM, Fernando Rocha wrote:

> Hi Israel,
>
> I think that by the check_process is hard to identify this issue,
> because as you said the process still running and just stop to work.
>
> How do you know when it crashes?
> Is there some log occurrences?
> Does it gives some errors on the web page?

The applet in question is a status display screen. I know it has
crashed because a) the data displayed is out of date, and b) it
doesn't respond to user input. Since it is a passive monitoring
system, there is no log written. No error is displayed, it just stops
updating properly. I guess what I was hoping for was that there might
be some indication I could get from the process list or the like that
I simply didn't know to look for, rather than an application-specific
check. Something along the lines of how you can check for a "zombie"
process by looking at the output of a ps. From the responses I have
gotten so far, however, this wouldn't appear to be the case. Thanks
anyway!

Israel Brewster
Computer Support Technician
Frontier Flying Service Inc.