Antwort: NRPE mystery

Sascha.Runschke at gfkl.com Sascha.Runschke at gfkl.com
Thu Nov 20 10:41:02 CET 2008

farhan ahmed <farhhanahmed at hotmail.com> schrieb am 20.11.2008 04:26:48:

> So, it means NRPE is passing write information to the check_nrpe on
> nagios, but somehow Nagios is showing them as OK status
>

> check users     OK      11-20-2008 14:20:41     0d 0h 20m 28s   1/3
> USERS CRITICAL - 10 users currently logged in
>
> check Remote Trace      OK      11-20-2008 14:16:57     0d 0h 19m
> 12s   1/3     Connection refused
>
> Please anyone who can help me in this. I am really stuck into it and
> can't figure out why it is happening.

Those kind of problems usually arise from wrong return values of
plugin scripts. NRPE passes the return value of the check plugin
back to nagios and Nagios interprets it as OK/CRITICAL/whatever.
The actually string output has nothing to do with what Nagios will
show as state.

So I would assume that Solaris 10 zone does something really
strange with the exit values of the plugins. Does Solaris have
/bin/sh with "$?" - if so then please run the check locally and
issue an "echo $?" right afterwards.

Regards
        Sascha

--
Sascha Runschke
IT-Infrastruktur

fon      : +49 (201) / 102-1879
fax      : +49 (201) / 102-1102105
mobil : +49 (173) / 5419665

GFKL Financial Services AG
Vorstand: Dr. Peter Jänsch (Vors.), Jürgen Baltes, Dr. Till Ergenzinger, Dr. Tom Haverkamp
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats: Dr. Georg F. Thoma
Sitz: Limbecker Platz 1, 45127 Essen, Amtsgericht Essen, HRB 13522