nagios not sending service alerts

alexus alexus at gmail.com
Thu Nov 20 04:34:27 CET 2008

program {
        modified_host_attributes=17
        modified_service_attributes=17
        nagios_pid=13374
        daemon_mode=1
        program_start=1226993882
        last_command_check=1227151516
        last_log_rotation=1227070800
        enable_notifications=1
        active_service_checks_enabled=1
        passive_service_checks_enabled=1
        active_host_checks_enabled=1
        passive_host_checks_enabled=1
        enable_event_handlers=1
        obsess_over_services=0
        obsess_over_hosts=0
        check_service_freshness=1
        check_host_freshness=0
        enable_flap_detection=1
        enable_failure_prediction=1
        process_performance_data=0
        global_host_event_handler=
        global_service_event_handler=
        total_external_command_buffer_slots=4096
        used_external_command_buffer_slots=0
        high_external_command_buffer_slots=1
        total_check_result_buffer_slots=4096
        used_check_result_buffer_slots=1
        high_check_result_buffer_slots=9
        }

service {
        host_name=acies.ny.box
        service_description=check_http
        modified_attributes=0
        check_command=check_http!80
        event_handler=
        has_been_checked=1
        should_be_scheduled=1
        check_execution_time=0.048
        check_latency=0.246
        check_type=0
        current_state=0
        last_hard_state=0
        current_attempt=1
        max_attempts=2
        state_type=1
        last_state_change=1226075415
        last_hard_state_change=1226030235
        last_time_ok=1227151447
        last_time_warning=0
        last_time_unknown=0
        last_time_critical=1226075355
        plugin_output=HTTP OK HTTP/1.1 200 OK - 282 bytes in 0.035 seconds
        performance_data=time=0.034983s;;;0.000000 size=282B;;;0
        last_check=1227151447
        next_check=1227151687
        current_notification_number=0
        last_notification=0
        next_notification=0
        no_more_notifications=0
        notifications_enabled=1
        active_checks_enabled=1
        passive_checks_enabled=1
        event_handler_enabled=1
        problem_has_been_acknowledged=0
        acknowledgement_type=0
        flap_detection_enabled=1
        failure_prediction_enabled=1
        process_performance_data=0
        obsess_over_service=1
        last_update=1227151517
        is_flapping=0
        percent_state_change=0.00
        scheduled_downtime_depth=0
        }

i do not have contact{} defenition in my status.dat, I do however have
my contact in objects.cache, which is

define contactgroup {
        contactgroup_name       staff
        alias   staff
        members DAC2
        }

define contact {
        contact_name    DAC2
        alias   Dmitry A Chorine (Sprint)
        service_notification_period     24x7
        host_notification_period        24x7
        service_notification_options    w,u,c,r
        host_notification_options       d,u,r
        service_notification_commands   notify-service-by-email
        host_notification_commands      notify-host-by-email
        email   XXXXXXXXXX at messaging.sprintpcs.com
        pager   XXXXXXXXXX at messaging.sprintpcs.com
        }

i honestly dont know where else to look

i'm pretty sure it's somewhere misconfiguration of nagios, because it
sometimes (very rare) does send notification (example)

d# grep NOTIFICATION nagios.log
[1227110402] SERVICE NOTIFICATION:
DAC2;hoowy;check_http;CRITICAL;notify-service-by-email;CRITICAL -
Socket timeout after 10 seconds
[1227110642] SERVICE NOTIFICATION:
DAC2;hoowy;check_http;OK;notify-service-by-email;HTTP OK HTTP/1.1 200
OK - 250 bytes in 9.802 seconds
[1227124132] SERVICE NOTIFICATION:
DAC2;ac1.alpha;check_http.ac;CRITICAL;notify-service-by-email;CRITICAL
- Socket timeout after 10 seconds
[1227124132] SERVICE NOTIFICATION:
AC;ac1.alpha;check_http.ac;CRITICAL;notify-service-by-email;CRITICAL -
Socket timeout after 10 seconds
[1227124602] SERVICE NOTIFICATION:
DAC2;ac1.alpha;check_http.ac;OK;notify-service-by-email;HTTP OK
HTTP/1.1 200 OK - 16328 bytes in 0.479 seconds
[1227124602] SERVICE NOTIFICATION:
AC;ac1.alpha;check_http.ac;OK;notify-service-by-email;HTTP OK HTTP/1.1
200 OK - 16328 bytes in 0.479 seconds
d#

no, configuration has been changed from that moment

http://alexus.org/