Nagios 3.0.4 performance issue

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Wed Nov 19 12:56:00 CET 2008

Alloo, Vincent wrote:
> By removing all "servicegroups", my load is back to normal.
> I had all my NRPE services within the same service group in
> order to put in place a service dependency. It means 3600
> services within the same service group.
> It was causing the huge load seen on my machine.
> Is it a normal behavior, or is it a bug?

It's a bug, but in the configuration. A servicegroup with 3600
services cannot be used to create a sane servicedependency setup.

My guess is that you somehow managed to set a *lot* of service
dependencies for a *lot* of services, which in turn meant that
all of those dependencies had to be checked each time one of
the services had to be run. In short, before each service check,
a list with 3600 items was traversed. That would add quite a
substantial load on the CPU, so I'm not surprised.

Can you please copy-paste the servicedependency you had created
using this supersized servicegroup?

Thanks

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se