Nagios + Gnokii -> SMS not being sent

adigei adi at nextlan.ro
Tue Nov 18 00:04:19 CET 2008

Ludo Bosmans (skynet <ludo_bosmans <at> skynet.be> writes:

> Hello,
>
> Have you tried to use your "gnokii" command as the "nagios" user?
> Does the nagios user have enough rights to access the serial port that is
> configured with gnokii?
>
> King regards,
>
> Ludo

Thank you all,

i did "su nagios", ran the script and the errors popped out:

~# su nagios
$ /usr/bin/sms_gnokii
GNOKII Version 0.6.27
Couldn't read /home/nagios/.gnokiirc config file.
Couldn't read /home/nagios/.gnokiirc config file.
Couldn't read /etc/gnokiirc config file.
Couldn't read /etc/gnokiirc config file.
Config file cannot be read.

I copied .gnokiirc from /root to /home/nagios and did chown nagios:nagios on it.

Further, gnokii tries to send the message but it ends in another permission
related error:
Connecting
Serial device: opening device USB
Ignoring extra header, type 171, length 5
Found FBUS interface
Can't set configuration: -1
Can't claim control interface: -1
Couldn't open PHONET device: Operation not permitted
Error in link initialisation: 1
Telephone interface init failed: Command failed.
Quitting.
Command failed.

Furthermore, i tried the following:

chown -R nagios:nagios /dev/bus/usb/*