Service Return Code 255 Problem

Novak, Mark mark.novak at eds.com
Fri Nov 14 17:40:19 CET 2008

Hello Everyone,

I have searched the archives and also googled for my scenario, but have
not found any answers that relate.

I am running Nagios 3.0.5 stable to monitor a few servers and services.

For one particular SAP server, I am using the check_sap_ccms service to
check some SAP services.  Seemingly randomly yesterday, two of the SAP
checks (FrontEndNetTime and DialogResponseTime) have started showing a
"Return Code of 255 is out of bounds" error in the Nagios log and also
on the web front end.  Strangely, those are just two of about 10
different checks that all use the same "check_sap_ccms" check with the
same argument for hostname and only these two are having errors.  Even
stranger, I can execute those two checks via command line and they work
fine.  The error is only in Nagios.

Any advice on where to look would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

Mark Novak
EDS, an HP Company
SAP Practice Bestshore/GC Architect Delivery Lead
Cell:    214-725-5295
Email: mark.novak at eds.com