check_disk and autofs

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Wed Nov 12 22:39:15 CET 2008

On Nov 12, 2008, at 3:06 PM, Alan McKay wrote:

>> Please expand on this. What specifically is flipping back and forth?
>> What is the service output when this is happening? flip-flop behavior
>> is an indicator of accidentally having multiple nagios daemons
>> running
>> at the same time.
>
> Right now the screen just refreshed and it's reporting correctly in
> the web GUI :
>
> DISK OK - free space: /opt/corp/projects/BCM_CC 64697 MB (73%
> inode=99%):
>
> Just before the refresh, it had / listed instead of
> /opt/corp/projects/BCM_CC, and the stats for / as well.
>
> In the meantime I have not changed the configuration.
>
> I'm thinking that like Hugo said, it could be the response time of the
> automounter.  Maybe I have to write a wrapper-script for check_disk
> that first cd's to the directory, then sleeps for 1 or 2 seconds, then
> calls check_disk.   Anyone ever done that?  Anything special I have to
> know to do it?

A more likely, and elegant reason is that you have multiple nagios
daemons running at the same time, one with the current config and one
with a prior config that was set to check '/'. That's much easier to
verify and fix first than trying to figure out some obscure problem
with the automounter. Unless the automounter is unmounting it in the
time between checks, I doubt that's going to be it. I would also never
expect the mountpoint being checked to change in that event.
check_disk just doesn't do that from my experience.

--
Marc