Email Notifications

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Wed Nov 12 15:06:02 CET 2008

kellyjackie at eircom.net wrote:
> Please help!
> I have set up eSMTP as relay.The test from the command line is as follows: echo "test" | /usr/bin/esmtp -C ~/esmtp outside at email -f inside at email
> outside at email is an outside email address i am sending to from an inside email address on our email server. Do i need to specify the inside email server and the account i am using within nagios and if so where? or should the usual configuration be enough. the relevant parts of the config fiels are as follows.
>
> Thanks in advance for any help
>
> The following are the config files:
>

>>From the windows.cfg file:
>
> define host{
>         use             windows-pcs     ; Inherit default values from a template
>         host_name       invoicepc       ; The name we're giving to this host
>         alias           invoicingpc     ; A longer name associated with the host
>         address         x.x.x.x     ; IP address of the host
>         }
>

> define hostgroup{
>         hostgroup_name  windows-pcs     ; The name of the hostgroup
>         alias           Windows PCs     ; Long name of the group
>         members         invoicepc
>         }
>

> define service{
>         use                     generic-service
>         hostgroup_name          windows-pcs
>         service_description     Uptime
>         check_command           check_nt!UPTIME
>         contact_groups          admins
>         }
>

>>From the commands.cfg file:
>
> # 'notify-host-by-email' command definition
> define command{
>         command_name    notify-host-by-email
>         command_line    /usr/bin/esmtp/printf "%b" "***** Nagios *****\n\nNotification Type:  $NOTIFICATIONTYPE$\nHost: $HOSTNAME$\nState: $HOSTSTATE$\nAddress: $HOSTADDRESS$\nInfo:  $HOSTOUTPUT$\n\nDate/Time: $LONGDATETIME$\n" | /usr/bin/esmtp -s "** $NOTIFICATIONTYPE$ Host Host Alert: $HOSTNAME$ is $HOSTSTATE$ **" $CONTACTEMAIL$

/usr/bin/esmtp/printf looks totally bogus. I've got a feeling
someone's used a crappy regex to modify the config here.

Besides that, I believe esmtp is an smtp *server*, so it's not
supposed to be run from the command line. I'm not sure about
that though, so I'll just assume you've read the manuals for
esmtp and know what you're doing (well, one can always hope,
right?).

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se