Confused on how this is working with out nrpe...

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Tue Nov 11 20:05:54 CET 2008

On Nov 11, 2008, at 12:06 PM, Charlie Reddington wrote:

> Sure thing. I think I am missing something as it's not working how I
> remembered it working.

> define service{
>         use                             generic-service         ;
> Name of service template to use
>         host_name                       master,prodws01,prodws02
>         service_description             Root Partition
> 	check_command			check_local_disk!20%!10%!/
>         }
>
> define service{
>         use                             generic-service         ;
> Name of service template to use
>         host_name                       master,prodws01,prodws02
>         service_description             Current Users
> 	check_command			check_local_users!20!50
>         }
>
> define service{
>         use                             generic-service         ;
> Name of service template to use
>         host_name                       master,prodws01,prodws02
>         service_description             Total Processes
> 	check_command			check_local_procs!250!400!RSZDT
>         }
>
> define service{
>         use                             generic-service         ;
> Name of service template to use
>         host_name                       master,prodws01,prodws02
>         service_description             Current Load
> 	check_command			check_local_load!5.0,4.0,3.0!10.0,6.0,4.0
>         }
>

> Now looking at this, I'm able to get successful checks, with out using
> nrpe on the host server. So my question comes back to, how is this
> working when I thought you had to define commands like  this

The results being reported are for the machine that nagios is running
on only. The check_local_* commands almost certainly don't take a
hostname parameter and always operate for localhost *. When checking
host 'master', check_local_load shows the load for the nagios machine;
when checking prodws01, check_local_load shows the load for the nagios
machine, etc...

As you suspect, you must use nrpe or some other remote connection
methodology to run those plugins on the remote host to get the results
you expect.

* unless the command{} defintion uses check_nrpe or other remote
connection methodology.

--
Marc