Confused on how this is working with out nrpe...

Charlie Reddington charlie.reddington at gmail.com
Tue Nov 11 19:06:47 CET 2008

Sure thing. I think I am missing something as it's not working how I
remembered it working.

On my remote host, my config file.

Alloweed_hosts=my.server.com

# The following examples use hardcoded command arguments...
command[check_smtp]=/usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_smtp -t20 -w 10 -c
20
command[check_ftp]=/usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_ftp -w 10 -c 20
command[check_users]=/usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_users -w 5 -c 10
command[check_load]=/usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_load -w 15,10,5 -c
30,25,20
command[check_hda1]=/usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_disk -w 20% -c 10%
-p /dev/hda1
command[check_zombie_procs]=/usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_procs -w 5
-c 10 -s Z
command[check_total_procs]=/usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_procs -w
200 -c 250
command[check_mysql]=/usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_mysql -u user -p
password
command[check_local_disk]=/usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_disk -w 20 -
c 10 -u MB
command[check_load]=/usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_load -w
5.0,4.0,3.0 -c 10.0,6.0,4.0
# The following examples allow user-supplied arguments and can
# only be used if the NRPE daemon was compiled with support for
# command arguments *AND* the dont_blame_nrpe directive in this
# config file is set to '1'.  This poses a potential security risk, so
# make sure you read the SECURITY file before doing this.

#command[check_users]=/usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_users -w $ARG1$ -
c $ARG2$
#command[check_load]=/usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_load -w $ARG1$ -c
$ARG2$
command[check_disk]=/usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_disk -w $ARG1$ -c
$ARG2$ -p $ARG3$
command[check_procs]=/usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_procs -w $ARG1$ -
c $ARG2$ -s $ARG3$

And on my host system, I have some checks and definiations as such.

# 'check_ftp' command definition
define command{
         command_name    check_ftp
         command_line    $USER1$/check_ftp -H $HOSTADDRESS$ $ARG1$
         }

# 'check_hpjd' command definition
define command{
         command_name    check_hpjd
         command_line    $USER1$/check_hpjd -H $HOSTADDRESS$ $ARG1$
         }

# 'check_snmp' command definition
define command{
         command_name    check_snmp
         command_line    $USER1$/check_snmp -H $HOSTADDRESS$ $ARG1$
         }

# 'check_http' command definition
define command{
         command_name    check_http
         command_line    $USER1$/check_http -I $HOSTADDRESS$ $ARG1$
         }

-------------------

define service{
         use                             generic-service         ;
Name of service template to use
         host_name                       master
         service_description             PING
	check_command			check_ping!100.0,20%!500.0,60%
         }

define service{
         use                             generic-service         ;
Name of service template to use
         host_name                       master,prodws01,prodws02
         service_description             Root Partition
	check_command			check_local_disk!20%!10%!/
         }

define service{
         use                             generic-service         ;
Name of service template to use
         host_name                       master,prodws01,prodws02
         service_description             Current Users
	check_command			check_local_users!20!50
         }

define service{
         use                             generic-service         ;
Name of service template to use
         host_name                       master,prodws01,prodws02
         service_description             Total Processes
	check_command			check_local_procs!250!400!RSZDT
         }

define service{
         use                             generic-service         ;
Name of service template to use
         host_name                       master,prodws01,prodws02
         service_description             Current Load
	check_command			check_local_load!5.0,4.0,3.0!10.0,6.0,4.0
         }

Now looking at this, I'm able to get successful checks, with out using
nrpe on the host server. So my question comes back to, how is this
working when I thought you had to define commands like  this

define service{
         host_name                       master,prodws01,prodws02
         service_description             Current Load
	check_command			check_nrpe!check_local_load!5.0,4.0,3.0!10.0,6.0,4.0
         }