Check by ssh timeout problems

Michael Gargiullo mgargiullo at pivotpointsecurity.com
Mon Nov 10 20:54:41 CET 2008

I have 2 remote machines that only I only have ssh access to.  I have
about 5 services I check the status of. Occasionally the machine takes >
70seconds to respond.

I have the global timeout set to 120 sec, but I still get 5
notifications "CRITICAL - Plugin timed out while executing system call"
then maybe 10-20 minutes later 5 saying it's OK again.

Is there a proper way to only send alerts on the 2nd or 3rd "CRITICAL -
Plugin timed out while executing system call" message (a true problem)
or better yet, increase the timeout for service checks?  I never get a
host message, just the services.

Unfortunately, I only have ssh access to the remote hosts.

Thanks,

Mike