OpMon and Fruity, a better understanding.

Taylor Dondich tdondich at gmail.com
Tue Nov 4 17:37:27 CET 2008

Hi all, might have seen a bit of an irate email from me regarding
OpMon and it's use of Fruity as it's initial codebase.  After
discussing it with the OpMon team, they had good reason to fork the
project.  They didn't really ping the user community mailing list or
myself in regards to forking the project, but they did submit patches.
 And because of the issue of Fruity being in a stale situation, their
patches could not go into the official codetree.

I've discussed with them how Fruity is basically no longer supported
and really should not be used for production use.  At least not with
Nagios 3.x  OpMon team did a good job of adding some initial support
for Nagios 3.x but there would be a lot of work to be done to try and
get the Fruity codebase up to par.  The good news is that I've already
done so and built Lilac, which is from the ground-up a major rewrite
of Fruity to support Nagios 3.x and be much more robust.

I'm now in discussions with the OpMon team in how we can leverage
Lilac for their uses and bring some of the work they've done to Lilac
and it's community.

Glad we got things cleared up the open source way!  By flaming and
communication.  8)

--
Taylor Dondich
Check out Lilac, a configuration tool for Nagios 3 at

Check out my Shortcut with O'Reilly Press:
Network Monitoring with Nagios:
http://oreilly.com/catalog/9780596528195/index.html