nrpe script

Mathieu Gagné mgagne at iweb.com
Sat Nov 1 00:17:23 CET 2008

Hi,

jeremiah wrote:

> I check the log file and this is all i'm seeing pertaining to this
> command on the server.
>
> Oct 31 22:33:23 serv1 nagios2: SERVICE ALERT: serv2;LOADSCRIPT CHECK
> ERRORS;WARNING;HARD;3;NRPE: Unable to read output
> Oct 31 22:33:23 serv1 nagios2: SERVICE NOTIFICATION:
> root;serv2;LOADSCRIPT CHECK ERRORS;WARNING;notify-by-email;NRPE: Unable
> to read output

I successfully reproduced your issue by trying to execute a plugin
located inside /root through NRPE, location which is obviously chmod to 700:

nagios3:~# stat --format="%a %U:%G" /root
700 root:root
nagios3:~# stat --format="%a %U:%G" /root/check_users
755 root:root

command[check_root]=/root/check_users -w 5 -c 10

/usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_nrpe -H 127.0.0.1 -c check_root
NRPE: Unable to read output

You have to move your plugin outside your home directory like I
explained previously otherwise NRPE won't be able to access/execute it
due to chmod restriction.

--
Mathieu