NRPE: Unable to read output

Kaushal Shriyan kaushalshriyan at gmail.com
Wed May 28 20:52:03 CEST 2008

On Thu, May 29, 2008 at 12:13 AM, Steve Pribyl <spribyl at peel.com> wrote:

> I did the the same thing the other day.
>
> Make sure the nrpe.cfg is readable by the nrpe daemon.
> Make sure that the path to the command is correct.
>
> Thanks
>
> Steve Pribyl
> Senior Infrastructure Practitioner
> Peel, Inc
> 990 Grove St. Suite 204
> Evanston, IL 60201
> Phone: 847-424-0954 ex 14
> Cell: 847-343-2349
> Fax: 847-424-0986
> spribyl at peel.com
>

> On 05/28/2008 01:38 PM, Kaushal Shriyan wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > when i run the below command i get NRPE: Unable to read output
> >
> > sudo -u nagios /usr/nagios/libexec/check_nrpe -H localhost -c
> > check_total_procs
> > NRPE: Unable to read output
> >
> > Thanks and Regards
> >
> > Kaushal

> reporting any issue.

> reporting any issue.

Hi Steve

kaushal$ ls -l /etc/nagios/nrpe.cfg
-rw-r----- 1 nagios nagios 3898 May 28 07:54 /etc/nagios/nrpe.cfg
kaushal$

[I--] [ ~] net-analyzer/nagios-2.9 (0)
[I--] [ ~] net-analyzer/nagios-nrpe-2.8.1 (0)

OS: Gentoo Linux

I am able to see the output for rest of the commands, only for
check_total_procs I get *NRPE: Unable to read output*

kaushal$ sudo -u nagios /usr/nagios/libexec/check_nrpe -H localhost -c
check_users
USERS OK - 2 users currently logged in
kaushal$ sudo -u nagios /usr/nagios/libexec/check_nrpe -H localhost -c
check_load
OK - load average: 0.09, 0.15, 0.16
kaushal$ sudo -u nagios /usr/nagios/libexec/check_nrpe -H localhost -c
check_disk1
DISK OK [101168544 kB (86%) free on /dev/sda2]
kaushal$ sudo -u nagios /usr/nagios/libexec/check_nrpe -H localhost -c
check_mysql
Uptime: 1814627  Threads: 4  Questions: 21736723  Slow queries: 2  Opens:
43  Flush tables: 3  Open tables: 22  Queries per second avg: 11.979
kaushal$ sudo -u nagios /usr/nagios/libexec/check_nrpe -H localhost -c
check_nrpe_status
OK - NRPE is alive
kaushal$ sudo -u nagios /usr/nagios/libexec/check_nrpe -H localhost -c
check_total_procs
*NRPE: Unable to read output*

Any ideas

Thanks and Regards

Kaushal

Please let me know if i am missing something