VMWare Infrastructure monitoring

Sascha.Runschke at gfkl.com Sascha.Runschke at gfkl.com
Wed May 28 09:55:21 CEST 2008

Hi all,

I've recently spent some time again on thinking about our VMWare
Infrastructure (ESX clusters) and
its monitoring. I'd like to hear some opinions from the list, how others
implemented the monitoring.

Currently my setup is as follows:

- 3 ESX clusters with 6 hosts each
- 100 VMs per cluster

My current approach:

The first cluster for example is defined as host "essesx-cluster" with 6
services ESX01, ESX02, ESX03.....
Those services are check_icmp checks on the IP of the service console of
each ESX host.
The hostcheck of the "essesx-cluster" host is then:

check_cluster --service -w 1 -c 1 -d
$SERVICESTATEID:essesx-cluster:ESX01$,
$SERVICESTATEID:essesx-cluster:ESX02$,$SERVICESTATEID:essesx-cluster:ESX03$,
$SERVICESTATEID:essesx-cluster:ESX04$,$SERVICESTATEID:essesx-cluster:ESX05$,
$SERVICESTATEID:essesx-cluster:ESX06$

All VMs are childs of their corresponding cluster host.
The ESX hosts itself are not monitored as hosts, just as services of the
cluster.

What do you think about that approach? Is it sophisticated or rather dumb?
I have to admit that I am
a bit clueless right now, as it looks quite weird. Does anyone see any
problems with that appoach?

/discuss

regards
Sascha

--
Sascha Runschke
Netzwerk-  und  Systemmanagement

GFKL Financial Services AG
Vorstand: Dr. Peter Jänsch (Vors.), Jürgen Baltes, Dr. Till Ergenzinger, Dr. Tom Haverkamp
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats: Dr. Georg F. Thoma
Sitz: Limbecker Platz 1, 45127 Essen, Amtsgericht Essen, HRB 13522