Nagios 3.0 SLA Reporting

Mohr James james.mohr at elaxy.com
Tue May 27 18:10:49 CEST 2008

I figured something like that. My boss insists that there must be something out there as there must be other companies with the same problem. That might be true, but it is likely that other companies saw that there was nothing and built their own solution, but never made it available publically.

Using the GUI to record a downtime is much easier than what we do now. Even if it is in the past, it still appears in nagios.log and grepping for SCHEDULE_SVC_DOWNTIME for the given host/service pair is pretty straightforward. Perhaps the "long term" solution would be to change the code (commands.c???) so that each time a downtime is entered it is stored in a DB table at the same time it is written to the command file. At that point all of the checks have been done and all we should need to do is parse the output line and do a DB insert.

I am curious what you use for the actual reporting. Does the "DB interogation script" simply pull the data out of the DB or does it do any reformating? We have been looking at using Crystal Reports, but we currently still have the problem with the outages, but if we figure out how to get it into the DB we should be OK.

Regards,

Jim Mohr