Multiple interfaces, multiple parents

Tobias Klausmann klausman at schwarzvogel.de
Mon May 26 14:49:25 CEST 2008

Hey everybody,

I've hit a snag when configuring parents for hosts. First a
little bit about our setup.

Most of our hosts have only one connected ethernet interface (if
you don't count the management cards). Still, we have quite a
handful of hosts (over 100) that have two interfaces.

Up until now, we configured the "management address" as the
address to use by Nagios. That is, Nagios uses the adress the
admins use when SSH'ing to the box. If there are additional IPs
that need monitoring, they're configured as services on the host
they're bound to.

We're now starting to migrate/integre monitoring of our switch
setup into Nagios. We have a satellite switch per rack which in
turn is connected redundantly to a pair of central switches.

Now what we'd like is to have these rack-switches as parents to
the hosts which are connected to them. Here, we run into a
problem: those hosts that have two interfaces would have two
parents, *both* of which should yield an "UNREACHABLE" message if
*either* of them goes belly-up.

Unfortunately, Nagios connects multiple parent hosts with logical
AND, which means that the host only turns UNREACHABLE when *both*
switches are gone.

Is there any way out of this? Dependencies seem to work the same
way, near as I can tell. How do you handle such a setup?

Regards & TIA,
Tobias

--
printk(KERN_DEBUG "%s: Flex. Ttttt...\n", DRV_NAME);
        linux-2.6.6/drivers/net/wan/dscc4.c