Host Down Notifications not being sent

Justin Brown justin at esolutions.net
Fri May 23 22:57:35 CEST 2008

Hi,
I have been using Nagios 2.x for almost 2 years now and I have been very
happy with its performance. Recently I decided to upgrade to version 3 but
when I did Nagios stopped sending out notifications. I figured that I had
some bugs in my configuration so I rebuilt the whole thing one object at a
time using the Nagios 3 documentation. When I had completed that Nagios
still did not send out down notices and I don't know what to do other than
revert back to version 2.

When I go to the Host detail page for a server it says that notifications
are enabled. I know my email command works because I can send custom
notifications just fine. The system correctly displays a server going down
and then up (nagios.log records this as well) but no notifications are sent.
I have doublechecked both my contact and host objects and I can't find
anything wrong. Notifications are enabled in nagios.cfg. Is there anywhere
else I should be looking? Any help you could offer would be greatly
appreciated.

Here is my contact object:

define contact{
        contact_name                    office
        alias                           office
        host_notifications_enabled        1
        service_notifications_enabled    1
        host_notification_period        24x7
        service_notification_period     24x7
        host_notification_options        d,u,r
        service_notification_options    u,c,r
        host_notification_commands      host-notify-by-email
        service_notification_commands   notify-by-email
        email                            myemail at mycompany.com
    }

And here is the host object (slightly edited):

define host{
        host_name               server
        alias                   Server
        address                 123.123.123.123
        parents                 parent_host
        check_command           check-host-alive
        max_check_attempts      10
        check_period            24x7
        notification_interval   10
        notification_period     24x7
        notification_options    d,u,r
        contact_groups            office_group
        icon_image                tux.png
        icon_image_alt            Linux
        vrml_image                tux.png
        statusmap_image            tux.gd2
        }

Naturally the contact I provided is in the 'office_group' contact_group.

Thanks in advance.

--Justin Brown

eSolutions

justin at esolutions.net