Nagios 3 visual map

Israel Brewster israel at frontierflying.com
Thu May 22 20:38:17 CEST 2008

On May 20, 2008, at 12:12 PM, Hendrik BŠäcker wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Israel Brewster schrieb:
>> I did look at nagvis a while back, but at least at that time it
>> would  have required me to go through a very time-consuming process
>> of  placing each host and each link on the layout manually, and
>> then  adjusting the coordinates of each host and link in a
>> configuration  file to make it look good. This process would have
>> been prohibitively  time-consuming. I need something that can
>> automatically place the  hosts and links on the map, and simply
>> allow me to drag the hosts  around to position them. Thanks for any
>> suggestions anyone might have  to offer!
>
> well... give NagVis a second chance - it now has a "Automap" feature.

Ok, tried that, and it is certainly closer to what I am looking for
than it was. Still not quite there though. Actually, the first thing
that happened is that it completely hosed my OpenBSD install- I
couldn't run nano or the Nagios CGI's. I think, however, that was
actually the fault of the graphviz install rather than nagvis itself.
As far as Nagvis goes, the automap feature looks good, with a couple
of exceptions. First (and most importantly) it doesn't show all my
hosts. It behaves as though there is a maximum parent depth it will
display or something. I'm not really sure what's going on, but
significant portions of my network are not displayed. Secondly, it
does not appear to be editable. As I mentioned, I am looking for
something where I can simply drag and drop hosts to position them. As
far as I can tell, this is still not an option in nagvis, even with
the standard maps.

So, anyway to solve these issues with nagvis? Or perhaps some other
front-end that hasn't been mentioned yet? Thanks.

Israel Brewster
Computer Support Technician
Frontier Flying Service Inc.
5245 Airport Industrial Rd