Service Checks while Host down

Axel Schmalowsky aschmalowsky at df.eu
Wed May 21 17:19:10 CEST 2008

Hi list,

is there a way to temporarily disable service checks on hosts while
they're down? That's is, how can I configure nagios to not conducting
service checks for any hosts it recognizes in a DOWN-state?

I'm running nagios in a distributed environment with 15 distributed
servers and one central server. Now, I got the problem that if one
monitored host is down, the distributed server monitoring that
particular host recognizes it's state to be DOWN (within 30s), but the
central server does not. It seems that the central server does just one
host check.
nagios does not conduct a second host check (but it's configured to do
so) and neither sends out any host notification(s) ...

[central server]
active host checks enabled
retry interval 1
max check attempts 2
check interval 60

As far as I understand it, nagios should check any hosts in a not-UP
state (at least) 2x within ~60sec and should send out a notifications if
the host is still DOWN..
What am I missing?

Any help would be appreciated.

~axel