Query regarding negate wrapper

Satish Kumar P satishkumarp2k1 at gmail.com
Wed May 21 07:07:27 CEST 2008

Hi,

I have been trying to test and implement the negate wrapper in our Nagios
environment. It has worked successfully with all (except one) of the
plugins.
'negate' is not working as expected when I try to use with check_http (with
-u <URL> argument especially). When I actually run the negate wrapper
with check_http plugin against a web server (enabled with SSL), it doesn't
negate the state returned (only when the web server is down).

When the web server is down (connect to socket times out) and check_http
plugin actually returns STATE_CRITICAL with time out error. But when
negate wrapper is used, surprisingly it doesn't negate the output, but
instead returns STATE_CRITICAL. I have included the commands and the output
of the commands as below:

prod-unix-mon04:/usr/lib/nagios/plugins# /usr/lib/nagios/plugins/check_http
-S -p 443 -u '/EdgeAuth/login.jsp' -H <server_name>
CRITICAL - Socket timeout after 10 seconds
prod-unix-mon04:/usr/lib/nagios/plugins# echo $?
2
prod-unix-mon04:/usr/lib/nagios/plugins# /usr/lib/nagios/plugins/negate
/usr/lib/nagios/plugins/check_http -S -p 443 -u '/EdgeAuth/login.jsp' -H
<server_name>
CRITICAL - Plugin timed out after 10 seconds
prod-unix-mon04:/usr/lib/nagios/plugins# echo $?
2

Our Nagios environment details are as follows:
Nagios Version : 3.0
Nagios Plugins Version : 1.4.11

Appreciate any quick help / suggestions to get around this problem. Thanks
in advance.

Thanks & Regards,
  Satish Kumar P