logserver plugin has self terminated

Hari Sekhon hpsekhon at googlemail.com
Mon May 19 10:42:08 CEST 2008

secrookie at gmail.com wrote:
> I have been running the logserver plugin for a few weeks now and its
> been doing its job well until a few days ago.  I get the following
> error:
>
> CRITICAL: logserver plugin has self terminated after exceeding the
> timeout (30 seconds)
>
> I have tried to restart the nagios service but this check appears to
> keep terminating.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> regards,
> secrookie

As your logserver database has grown it takes longer to do a query
against it.

This means that the query now takes a sufficiently long time for the
test to timeout. What you need to do is:

1. Switch the check to being a passive check (as per my recommendation
in the documentation on the NagiosExchange page), otherwise you'd have
to increase the nagios global check timeout which affects all plugins
and is not my preferred solution.
2. Increase the timeout on the plugin if necessary using the -t switch.

-h

--
Hari Sekhon