Notification escalation and notification interval

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Thu May 15 21:36:17 CEST 2008

On May 15, 2008, at 10:11 AM, Michael Mukherji wrote:

> My notification is working fine i am using sendEmail client but i
> get notification of host and service problem after 3 min of host /
> service being down.
> Is there any way to reduce time , i tried to search for commands
> definition on /usr/local/nagios/objects/commands.cfg file but no
> lucks.where can i find these definitions made for notification
> interval?

Nagios sends a notification immediately when the host/service reaches
a HARD state (max_check_attempts). Either reduce max_check_attempts,
retry_interval or both.

http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/3_0/objecttricks.html

> and the most important where do in need to define these commands ?
> in contacts.cfg file as well as commands.cfg file

Wherever they are logical for you. As long as the file is listed as a
cfg_file in nagios.cfg, it doesn't matter. You could include them in
an existing file or create a new file entirely.

> I am new to nagios so list help is surely appreciated also i have
> tried to dig out this info from documntation & FAQ's but no help.

http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/3_0/notifications.html, http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/3_0/statetypes.html
  and http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/3_0/config.html in addition
to the objecttricks documentation cover your questions so far. I would
encourage you to read through the documentation at least once. It
covers about 95% of the questions you'll have.

--
Marc