Notifications via CDMA

Douglas K. Rand rand at meridian-enviro.com
Thu May 15 18:00:43 CEST 2008

Thomas> Sure. If you can afford a second monitoring server in a
Thomas> different location that will do it though... I.e. monitoring
Thomas> your monitoring server.

This is a good idea anyway, and we have a Nagios install at our
colocation facility monitoring our main facility, and vice versa. It
makes good sense anyway.

But I'm still using SMTP to an external service to send
notifications. It usually works fine, but not always. (We have a
service we sell sending text messages to several different providers
for several hundred users for events (unrelated to Nagios) and on the
order of 3-5 percent of these are bounced back from the SMTP service
of the provider.

While our success rate for IXO/TAP delivery is in excess of 99.5%.

Thomas> There's also many services that monitor your network from the
Thomas> outside world - they could be useful too.

Right, but I'd like to keep it in house.