no max check attempts for host checking?

Thomas Harold tgh at tgharold.com
Thu May 15 03:40:13 CEST 2008

Mark Frost wrote:
> Hello.  I have something that's not working the way I'd expect.
>
> We are monitoring services on windows hosts and as is common practice,
> not explicitly checking the host state.  Wehn the host gets rebooted, I
> expect that a service might fail, then Nagios would attempt a host
> check.  I would like the host check to not alert on a single ping
> failure, but rather hold off for say 5 failures before it sends an
> alert.  The intent is to not get an alert if the box is just being
> rebooted.
>
> I've set the following for my test host:
>
> max_check_attempts 10
> check_interval 0
> retry_interval 1
> active_checks_enabled no

Do you really need to define check_interval at all?  (We're using 2.11
though, and it is an optional parameter in that version and not
recommended.)

If you look at Host Alert History, you should see that Nagios is
checking the host 10 times before it alerts.  In our setup, this
checking happens every 3 seconds until the 10 tries are up.  Because it
happens every 3 seconds (and I can't find where to change that at the
moment in 2.11), the host only has to be down for 30 seconds before
Nagios starts sending notifications.