How to do download speed control

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Tue May 13 21:32:19 CEST 2008

On Tue, May 13, 2008 at 09:33:37PM +0300, Umut Arus wrote:
> We have used nagios for two years. But I haven't found a plug-in to do
> control the internet download speed. Sometimes, download speed slows but
> I can not monitor that speed result. I want to download and test by
> putting a file to far away.

You don't want to *control* that speed, but to *monitor* it, correct?

If you have a specific site you care about the speed to, then that's
what you should test.

If you just want to know "how fast the internet is today", then you
will need to do some more specific scripting, I suspect.  I would use
wget to transfer some files in to you from remote servers, and pick the
transfer speed out of the output it generates.

You'll need a reasonably sized file to test with, and a selection of
sites that will tell you something useful.  The problem is really
NP-hard to solve generally.

Cheers,
-- jra

	     Those who cast the vote decide nothing.