Monitoring your office's Coffee Machine?

Jonah Horowitz jhorowitz at looksmart.net
Tue May 13 21:25:32 CEST 2008

On 5/13/08 12:14 PM, "Jay R. Ashworth" <jra at baylink.com> wrote:

> On Mon, May 12, 2008 at 01:56:00PM -0700, Mirza Dedic wrote:
>> I know, totally off topic but what if you really wanted to? I want to
>> monitor our Coffee Machine to warn me when it is running low (so that
>> I can go there & put a new coffee in for some fresssh coffee).
>
> It's not OT, but you shouldn't have piggy backed it.
>
> I would use either an optical sensor pointed through the pot position
> at about the 20% height level, or a strain gage scale under the entire
> coffeemaker, calibrated for the tare weight of the equipment.
>
> Remember that either approach will false-positive when people pick up
> the pot to pour coffee.
>
> Urns work better in this environment.
>
> Cheers,
> -- jra

These coffee makers (from BUNN) have a built in digital gauge to tell how
much coffee is left in the pot.  Perhaps you could hack that sensor to send
SNMP (or NSCA) Alerts.

http://www.bunnomatic.com/pages/commercl/1coffee/apstserv.html#ICB
http://www.bunnomatic.com/pages/windows/1_5_TF_Bless_Serv_B_D.html
http://www.bunnomatic.com/pdfs/commercial/specsheets/a35.pdf

Now, if you get that to work, you should post a how-to.

Jonah Horowitz · Monitoring Manager · jhorowitz at looksmart.net
W: 415-348-7694 · F: 415-348-7033 · M: 415-513-7202
LookSmart - Premium and Performance Advertising Solutions
625 Second Street, San Francisco, CA 94107