Disable checking but keep in OK state

Mark Clarkson mark.clarkson at smorg.co.uk
Tue May 13 16:16:06 CEST 2008

On Tue, 13 May 2008 14:50:45 +0100, Hari Sekhon <hpsekhon at googlemail.com>
wrote:
> If these services are dynamic, then how do you know which server to
> connect to, do you have them DNS aliased or something, or perhaps you
> just try all of the servers until you find one running and use that?

Sorry, I didn't mean dynamic ip or dhcp. The ip addresses are fixed.

> Just a stab in the dark given the limited info. Disabling service checks
> manually doesn't sound like a good idea if these services really are
> dynamic... you'd have to do this manually a lot?

When the servers are initially started the administrator decides what
services will run on each host and the load balancer figures out
where those services are running somehow.

The administrator runs startup scripts to start one or more [java]
services on each machine.

I plan to modify the scripts to remotely disable active service checks
and send a passive check result. I'll be doing this using ssh.

Sound sensible?