Ring topology parent/child relation Nagios

Mihai Tanasescu mihai.tanasescu at airbites.ro
Mon May 12 21:41:08 CEST 2008

Mihai Tanasescu wrote:

> | I have some problems defining the parent/child relationships to reflect
> | changes and monitoring on the map.
> |
> | My topology is something like this:
> |
> | Nagios machine --- Router A ---- Router B
> |
> | Router B --- Router C --- Router D --- Router E ---Router F --- Router B
> | (ring closing itself)
> |
> | but on the Router B ring I can't define parent relationships in a
> | circular way because nagios refuses to start when it detects this.
>
> The whole concept of a ring setup is that a single disaster can not
> cause a network failure. For this setup I would only follow the ring
> halfway.
>
> So you get 2 chains:
>
> Nagios --> A --> B --> C --> D
> Nagios --> A --> B --> F --> E
>
> Make sure you monitor each neighbor on each ring router to make sure the
> ring is working as expected.
>
> If you use dynamic routing you might want to monitor route changes
> relevant for the proper operation of your ring setup.
>
> Hugo.

Hello Hugo,

Thanks for the tip but I have one more question which refers to my
current problem in fact. (I configured sms sending for down events).

In case for example router B loses both its links to C and F (2
fibercuts on the network), then I will be getting SMSes stating that
C,D,F,E are down.
B in fact will not be down as a system but will be unable to reach the
others.

How could I solve this and avoid sending misleading sms messages
regarding down events?

Thanks,
Mihai