Way to replicate external commands to failover server?

Mark Frost mfrost at rooville.com
Mon May 12 15:14:02 CEST 2008

I'm working on a central server failover strategy for a distributed
setup using Nagios 3.0.1.  In our case, I don't want to lose any history
while the main server is down (or graph data) and I don't want to think
about merging data.  So I have the 2nd central server as a sort of hot
standby and it's accepting check data from the distributed nodes just
like the main (non-failover) central server.  That seems to work OK, and
in the event of emergency, I tell the failover server to enable
notifications and away we go.

What has me a little concerned is that if someone went into the web
interface on the main server and say scheduled downtime or disabled
notifications, the backup server would never know about it.  In the even
to failure people could find themselves getting alerts for a host that
should have been in scheduled downtime (or it was on the main server).

While I realize I would not want to capture and retransmit *all*
external commands to the backup host, if I could somehow get at them I
could filter them over to the backup host (i.e. "ignore most commands,
but pass a few like downtime or host notifications", etc).

Is there any mechanism that allows me to do this?  As I understand it
the global host and service events really only capture check results --
they're not going to fire if someone schedules downtime.

Thanks

Mark