check_load --- divide by number of cpus?

Mike Emigh maemigh at gmail.com
Fri May 9 16:14:49 CEST 2008

On Fri, May 9, 2008 at 9:57 AM, Jay R. Ashworth <jra at baylink.com> wrote:
> On Fri, May 09, 2008 at 09:31:07AM -0400, Mike Emigh wrote:
>> You're right, it wouldn't work with just a single-threaded process.
>> I'm not sure of the specifics of how this would happen, but with
>> Oracle we've seen it maxing two CPUs and raising the load to 56 while
>> the 6 other cores in the 8 core machine sat idle.  As these situations
>> are possible simply dividing by the number of cores wouldn't provide
>> precise insight into what's going on.
>
> In light of *this*, it seems to me that the desired goal is to figure
> out a way to get the load average *per processor*, and then have one
> check_load per processor.
>
> Alternatively, you could get those numbers that top(1) displays for
> utilization percentages, and massage *those* to get your load results
> per proc; those are split.  But you'd need to average them.
>
> Cheers,
> -- jra
> --
> Jay R. Ashworth                   Baylink                      jra at baylink.com
> Designer                     The Things I Think                       RFC 2100
> Ashworth & Associates     http://baylink.pitas.com                     '87 e24
> St Petersburg FL USA      http://photo.imageinc.us             +1 727 647 1274

I think it would be great if the plugin reported average load per
processor and then allowed you to set a warning and critical threshold
for the busiest processor as well as a warning and critical threshold
for the average system load.  I might look into trying to code
something like that in the future.