check_load --- divide by number of cpus?

Mike Emigh maemigh at gmail.com
Thu May 8 17:24:23 CEST 2008

On Thu, May 8, 2008 at 10:49 AM, Terry <td3201 at gmail.com> wrote:
> This is the logic I was looking for.  This makes sense.  Apache with
> prefork is not multithreaded and this type of logic is great. But do
> you shoot yourself in the foot for multithreaded processes?

What we do in our setup is monitor CPU utilization (average across all
cores) in conjunction with load (and of course graph both).  You could
even have a separate check to monitor the CPU utilization of the
busiest CPU.  You could adjust your load thresholds in accordance with
the number of processors.  Then when/if your load hits a threshold,
you can check the CPU utilization graph to see how it compares.

I would think that the load average would be easier to interpret if
the applications running on the server are multithreaded (and load is
distributed evenly across the cores).