check_load --- divide by number of cpus?

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Thu May 8 16:12:21 CEST 2008

On Thu, May 08, 2008 at 08:49:52AM -0500, Terry wrote:
> I am sitting here racking my brain on this one.  Is dividing the load
> average by the number of CPUs a smart thing to do?  the 'uptime'
> command on a box does not do this.  So, if I have an 8 core box
> sitting with a load average of 8, its the same as a single core box
> sitting with a load average of 1?  I'll see the same type of server
> response?  Thoughts?

This is pretty much the same question as "should I modify my rm
command, somehow, so that it forces -i, so I don't accidentally remove
things", and, for me, where the *real* problem lies is here:

If you train yourself to expect the modified behavior, then you won't
be expecting the traditional behaviour when you find yourself out in
The World... and other people coming in won't expect the answers they
get either.

I understand your goal, but I think a better way to do it might be to
*rename the check command* on those machines, so that you still see 8
as the answer, but the question is check_load_8cpu.  That way, you get
a close-in reminder that the baseline is to be expected to be different.

It's a really good question, though, and opinions will likely differ.

Cheers,
-- jra

	     Those who cast the vote decide nothing.
	       -- (Joseph Stalin)