Monitor a Linux Machine

Scott Miller srmiller at interbel.net
Thu May 1 22:42:57 CEST 2008

I have nagios 3.x installed as per the quick install guide, and it seems to
be working fine with the default config, looking only at localhost.

Server:
Fedora Core 4

I'm having a bit of trouble setting it up to monitor another Linux machine.
I've read the docs, and it said to:

1.  Create a Host Definition:

/usr/local/nagios/etc/objects/servers.cfg (owned by nagios)

define host{
	use		generic-host	; Inherit default values from a
template
	host_name		remotehost	; The name we're giving to
this host
	alias		Some Remote Host	; A longer name associated
with the host
	address		192.168.1.50	; IP address of the host
	hostgroups		allhosts	; Host groups this host is
associated with
	}

2.  Create Service Definitions:

/usr/local/nagios/etc/objects/servers.cfg (in same file as above)

define service{
	use		generic-service	; Inherit default values from a
template
	host_name		remotehost
	service_description	HTTP
	check_command		check_ping!200.0,20%!600.0,60%
	}

I then edited nagios.cfg and inserted this line:

cfg_file=/usr/local/nagios/etc/objects/servers.cfg

When I then restart the nagios process, it fails with:

Running configuration check... CONFIG ERROR!  Restart aborted.  Check your
Nagios configuration.

I the comment out the cfg_file line I've inserted in the nagios.cfg file,
and it restarts just fine.

The directions say I can have the Host definition and Service definition in
any object configuration file specified by a cfg_file directive.

It's been a few years since I've messed with nagios, but I was certain there
was more to do than the above.  I've read through the docs and just don't
see where I went wrong.

Anyone have any pointers or suggestions?

Thanks,
Scott Miller