No notification on hard state change afteranacknowledgement

Jim.Melin at co.hennepin.mn.us Jim.Melin at co.hennepin.mn.us
Thu May 1 22:19:22 CEST 2008

I have a sort of related question....

The default for acknowledgements is sticky, notifiy and persistant are all checked.

Is there a way to change the behaviour so that sticky is not checked by default? We have a few services that if they go in to warning, the area in
charge of them doesn't want a ticket opened. They get the e-mail(s) but they don't need a problem opened.  BUT if the warnign is acknowledged with
sticky, and the service goes critical, no warning e-mail is sent.

>From page 8 of the nagios manual for 2.x it clearly indicates this is the behaviour:

"Sticky" acknowledgements - You can now designate host and service acknowledgements as
being "sticky" or not. Sticky acknowledgements suppress notifications until a host or service
fully recovers to an UP or OK state. Non-sticky acknowledgements only suppress notifications
until a host or service changes state.

We would prefer non-sticky acknowledgement to be the default behavior, since there are many alerts for which a warning moving to critical require
different action, or a change in action.

Is this possible?

-J

nagios-users-bounces at lists.sourceforge.net wrote on 05/01/2008 01:42:09 PM:

> On Wed, Apr 30, 2008 at 05:16:00PM -0500, Marc Powell wrote:
> > From: Scott Gwartney [mailto:scott.gwartney at nwea.org]
> > > Thank you for your response, but isn't a change from "Warning" to
> > > "Critical" a hard state change?
> >
> > Man, today is the day of repeats, I've got to learn to be clearer or
> > make fewer assumptions ;) Yes it is, but re-read that last sentence
> > about Sticky Acknowledgement. A Critical state is not a recovery.
>
> Naw; the doco you're quoting isn't entirely clear.
>
> The first part applies to all Acks that *don't* say sticky; the last
> sentence says how that changes for Sticky.
>
> Cheers,
> -- jra
> --
> Jay R. Ashworth                   Baylink                      jra at baylink.com
> Designer                     The Things I Think                      RFC 2100
> Ashworth & Associates     http://baylink.pitas.com                    '87 e24
> St Petersburg FL USA      http://photo.imageinc.us             +1 727 647 1274
>
>         Those who cast the vote decide nothing.
>         Those who count the vote decide everything.

Disclaimer: Information in this message or an attachment may be government data and thereby subject to the Minnesota Government Data Practices Act, Minnesota Statutes, Chapter 13, may be subject to attorney-client or work product privilege, may be confidential, privileged, proprietary, or otherwise protected, and the unauthorized review, copying, retransmission, or other use or disclosure of the information is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient of this message, please immediately notify the sender of the transmission error and then promptly delete this message from your computer system.