Announce: Check_Yum for RedHat/CentOS serverpackagealerts

Hari Sekhon hpsekhon at googlemail.com
Thu May 1 14:03:30 CEST 2008

Hugo van der Kooij wrote:

> Hari Sekhon wrote:
> | Randal, Phil wrote:
> |> The latest version now works fine on my CentOS 5.1 boxes.
> |>
> |> Now all we need is a version which works with python 2.3 so I can check
> |> our CentOS / RHEL 4 boxes.
> |>
> |> Cheers,
> |>
> |> Phil
> | I have a couple of RHEL 4 boxes too but since they didn't ship with yum
> | this didn't seem so relevant. I tried putting yum on one of them a
> | couple of years back and I have to say it was an absolutely awful
> | experience.
>
> I have never touched a real RHEL 4 box. But I run Centos 4 on a number
> of systems and Centos 4 uses yum for quite a while. They have this nice
> server CD that allows one to install a server with a minimum of packages
> and then I add what I need with yum.
>
> But needless to say Centos 4 is shipped with python v2.3.4 so the script
> will not work there. And upgrading to python v2.4 is not a viable option
> on those machines.
>
> Hugo.

Thanks for that feedback Hugo.

This does make a good case for adding support for CentOS 4. I don't have
any older CentOS, only RHEL so I wasn't aware that CentOS shipped with
yum for this to be useful.

Since you have made a good case, I have now updated the plugin to have
compatibility for the older python 2.3, so pls try the latest version
0.6.6 and let me know how that goes for you on the old systems.

http://www.nagiosexchange.org/cgi-bin/page.cgi?g=Detailed%2F2577.html;d=1

Thanks

-h

--