solaris snmp memory check question - plugin

Tom Throckmorton throck at duke.edu
Wed Mar 26 20:52:17 CET 2008

On Mar 25 09:44, August Simonelli wrote:
> hi all,
>
> not sure if there is a plugins list i could send this to so apologies if
> it's misdirected.
>
> i've been using check_snmp_mem.pl from //www.manubulon.com/nagios/ for
> remote checking of memory.

There is a list, fwiw, for users of this and related plugins, but it appears to
be mostly dead...

http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?forum_name=nagios-snmp-users

...so you're probably better off asking here.

> i recently implemented it against solaris 9 and 10 running net-snmp 5.0.9:
>
> bash-3.00# /usr/sfw/sbin/snmpd -v
>
> NET-SNMP version:  5.0.9
> Web:               http://www.net-snmp.org/
> Email:             net-snmp-coders at lists.sourceforge.net
>
> unfortunately one of the OIDs doesn't answer:
>
> [root at monitor01 libexec]# snmpget -v 1 -c mycommunity 1.2.3.4 "
> 1.3.6.1.4.1.2021.4.15.0"
> Error in packet
> Reason: (noSuchName) There is no such variable name in this MIB.
> Failed object: UCD-SNMP-MIB::memCached.0
> I've snmpwalked but don't really understand why this oid fails (something
> about solaris not using this concept of cached memory?).

You're on the right track.  Solaris and Linux have different memory management
models - Solaris doesn't have the same concept of cached memory as does Linux,
at least in a way that net-snmp knows about.  See the description for this
object from a more recent release of net-snmp:

(from http://www.net-snmp.org/docs/mibs/ucdavis.html)

| This object will not be implemented on hosts where the
| underlying operating system does not explicitly identify
| memory as specifically reserved for this purpose.

> Does anyone know another oid i could query to get this value? Or perhaps
> share a workaround/solution you may have found?

Short of hacking that plugin a bit, you've got a couple of options - you could
just check the corresponding objects (or just the ones of concern) directly
using check_snmp.  Considering what check_snmp_mem actually checks,  you could
also use check_snmp_storage, from the same author, and only look at Real memory
and Swap, e.g.:

you at yourhost $plugins/check_snmp_storage.pl -H 1.2.3.4 -C mycommunity -m '^Swap|^Real' -w 75 -c 90 -S 0,1 -f

Note that this is using a different mib (host-resources-mib) than
check_snmp_mem (ucd-snmp-mib) and therefore _should_ be available and yield
similar results across platforms.  There are some caveats to using this mib,
but for checking memory/swap usage, it should be fine.

Cheers,

-tt

--
Tom Throckmorton