Can Cacti poll passively via Nagios client?

Larry Low llow at telesphere.com
Thu Mar 20 00:21:53 CET 2008

There are two ways I've used to accomplish this.  The first method I used was having Cacti poll data then use a RRD check plugin to get the last data and alert if it triggered an alarm.  The latest method I've used which needs some additional work is to use the Cacti plugin Thold to trigger a breach of a threshold.  I think use Nagios to access the mySQL database and check the thold table if the alert is triggered or not (check_cacti_thold).  Placing your database somewhere both systems can access will get you to where you want.

The main reason I do this is because Cacti provides a much more "time" reliable polling mechanism unlike Nagios's scheduling.

----
Larry Low